Building & Zoning Department

COVID-19 Update
Below is clarification from Governor Wolf's office regarding residential construction projects:

Residential construction projects that are substantially completed may continue to completion. For all other residential construction projects, limited activities may continue to the extent necessary to stabilize the site, temporarily prevent weather damage, or make emergency repairs only.  Projects that are "substantially completed" are those projects that have been issued a final occupancy permit.  No new residential construction projects may be started. Building construction and inspections that are deemed to be life sustaining such as health care facilities and emergency repairs are allowable and may continue.

The Uwchlan Township Building and Zoning Department is not reviewing or issuing any permits and are not conducting any inspections for work at this time unless related to a health-care facility or which is deemed essential to the sustaining of critical life or infrastructure until further notice.

Building Permits
(Building Permits are NOW available online)

Please be advised that Building permits are required for various home improvement projects. These include new construction, additions, storage sheds, roofing, fences, pools and others. To ensure that your project does not require a Building Permit, please contact the office at 610-363-9450.

Contact the Zoning Officer and Building Inspector for Regulations and Restrictions.

Digging & Utilities

Before starting any work that requires digging, remember to call the Pennsylvania One Call System 800-242-1776 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.

You must give at least 3 days notice before beginning your project. They will notify the phone company, cable company, water, electric to mark the lines. Note that phone and cable lines are often within 6 inches of the surface.

Power digging equipment should not be used within 24 inches on either side of the markings.

Utility Codes

  • Red: Electric power line cables, conduit and lighting cable
  • Yellow: Gas, oil, steam, petroleum gaseous materials
  • Orange: Communications, alarm, signal lines, cable or conduit
  • Blue: Water, irrigation, slurry
  • Green: Sewers and drain lines
  • Pink: Temporary survey mark
  • White: Proposed excavation
Avoid Problems by calling 800-242-1776 to mark utility lines before you dig. The service is free and it's the law.