Project Guides

This page has application guides for common home improvement projects. 

Every project is different and requires certain information. Use our project guides to find out:

  • which forms you'll need to fill out
  • what documents you'll  need to support your application
  • how to submit your application and pay any applicable fees. 
Call 811 before you dig
Use this free service to have utilities marked on your property before you start digging. Call 800-242-1776.

Note: We'll be adding more project guides over time - if you have questions about the application process, please contact us.  

  1. Do I need a permit?
  2. Do I need a plot plan?
  3. Fences
  4. Windows & Doors
  5. Re-Roofing
  6. Replacement Siding
  7. Backyard Chickens

Do I need a permit?

The following projects need a permit in Uwchlan Township: 

  • New construction of 1 or 2 family dwellings or townhomes
  • Additions to a dwelling or garage (enlarged footprint or additional story)
  • Decks (new or replacement of any size and/or height above grade)
  • Replacing deck railings, guards or stairs
  • Interior alterations to existing spaces which involve anything greater than re-painting, re-flooring, papering, tiling or floor coverings
  • Finished basements
  • Sheds
  • Fences
  • Swimming pools
  • Hot tubs
  • Automatic stand-by generators that are permanently connected to the house wiring system
  • Solar panels or roofs 
  • Replacement siding, where replacing is greater than 25% of all wall areas
  • Re-roofing, where replacing is greater than 25% of the roof area
  • Replacement windows and doors
  • Replacement of HVAC equipment
  • Any electrical work (other than replacing fixtures or lamps) 
  • New or altered plumbing drains and/or supplies
  • Patio or paving, where the new impervious coverage exceeds 400 sq ft. 

If you're not sure, or have questions, please contact us